x

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Thoughts & Impressions

I'm not saying this isn't a disaster, but you learn quick that the media looks hard for "the story" that gets ratings. The shock images you see on the news are carefully constructed, almost staged. Naturally, they want to be taken to where they can say "it's a tragedy."

Well, of course it is. And has the potential to become much worse. But what you don't see is the expanses of unimpacted ocean, wetlands, and bayous. You don't see the huge flocks of healthy, clean birds. You don't see the flotilla of small boats and trawlers skimming oil, the airboats servicing booms, and the army of workers on nearly every beach cleaning up.

In addition to miles of booms, some of which cordon off entire bays, there are small barriers built along strategic areas to keep oil out. I saw NO oil until we got into the pass that opens into the Gulf. Then, I saw a gasoline-like sheen on the water, and, after a bit of a search, patches of red oil along the shore where the wind had swept it.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad to be part of the effort looking for oiled birds. And when we catch one, it is a great feeling that we have probably saved this guys life. But for every bird we capture, there are hours and hours of manpower searching likely areas for affected birds.

And as a scientist, I think I can be a bit more objective. I recognize the impacts, economic and environmental, but also appreciate the large expanses of unimpacted ecosystems (and unlikely to be impacted unless we get a direct hit hurricane, then its all bets off and likely a disaster of epic proportions). I also appreciate the recovery response of natural systems and populations.

No comments:

Post a Comment