x

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Southward Bound Chronicles

I have crossed into Alabama with 432 miles to go until I reach Houma Louisiana. This is my second day of driving 13 or 14 hours. The traffic hasn't been bad and I have made good time. So far I have avoided run-ins with local and state law enforcement officers, which is good since I'm cruising at a pretty high rate of speed. I think I have a pretty good excuse - rushing to the gulf coast help with the oil spill.

I was sent off with a nice prayer circle and laying on of hands this past Sunday's praise service. It was quite moving to have my pastor and congregants gather around and say a prayer over me. There was also a funny coincidence. When I got home from church there was an email informing me it was time to leave for the Gulf coast after I'd been waiting 6 weeks to be deployed.

I stepped outside a few miles back to pick up some things from Walmart and, as a warm breeze blew across the parking lot, I thought to myself, "I am definitely no longer in the Adirondacks."

I promise that future posts won't be so free form and will be more newsworthy. I intend to document the work I am doing, the things that I see, the impact of the oil spill, and efforts being made to protect and clean up the flora and fauna of the Gulf coast ecosystem.

This blog post has been created on my BlackBerry bold 9700 using Vlingo Pro word recognition software.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Michael. I hope you continue to blog and that people comment on your blog. I have always felt an affinity wit MArk Twain because heseemed to be at the right time and place to write good stuff--i.e. gold rush, etc, Then I realized he just had the marbles to get out there and observe life. He knew where the story was. You do too. SO it maybe doesn't matter to the present--we are all so mired in the chaos-- but it matters to the future that you continue to chronicle. Your sense that this time in your life is a BIG DEAL is correct! Prayers and well wishes, always. Maggie

    ReplyDelete